Dietary fat advice for cancer prevention is similar to heart disease prevention. So why don't people follow it?

Habit. Habits sometimes can be hard to break and hard to establish. This is why it is important to establish healthy habits early in life. One of the best things we can do for young people is to set a good example, so they can have life-long healthy habits.
Denial. Many people don't think they will be the one to get cancer even though 1 out of 2 men do, as do 1 out of 3 women. Patients are also confused if they can even prevent cancer and if there is a definitive link between cancer and diet. No study has ever shown an absolute connection. Even though smoking can cause lung cancer, not every smokers gets it. Therefore, people stay in denial about the risks.
Fat tastes good. It's hard to eliminate fat from your diet, we are all hard wired to like the taste of it. Mmmmmm...Donuts.