What medication can be used to treat high blood pressure if you have diabetes nephropathy?

Dr. Kevin Griffiths
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis
In brief: ACE or ARB
There are two types of medicines that are specifically made to treat hbp in a pateint with diabetic nephorpathy.
They are called either an ace inhibitor (any medicine ending in an "pril" like lisionpril or accupril) or an arb like cozaar, Benicar or diovan (valsartan). These two types of medicine help control BP and slow protein spill in a patient with diabetic nephropathy.

In brief: ACE or ARB
Dr. Kevin Griffiths
Dr. Kevin Griffiths
Dr. Rex Mahnensmith
well said; getting BP down to 125/75 is key; adding a calcium channel blocker can help.
Emily Lu
In brief: ACE inhibitor or ARB
In general, ace inhibitors (e.
g. Lisinopril) or arbs (e.g. Diovan) are the blood pressure medications given to anyone at risk for kidney disease. Though they are still under investigation for use in patients with diabetic nephropathy, the studies available seem to indicate that they are useful in both type i & type ii diabetics.

In brief: ACE inhibitor or ARB
In general, ace inhibitors (e.
Emily Lu
Emily Lu
Answer assisted by Emily Lu, Medical Student
Dr. Rex Mahnensmith
well said; getting BP to be down to 125-130/75-78 all the time is key; adding a calcium channel blocker can help
Dr. Rex Mahnensmith
In brief: BP med in DM CKD
Controlling hypertension is essential in this context; as others have said, ACEI or ARB are first choices.
I like to start with one of these and then titrate the dose every 4-6 weeks according to BP level, aiming for BP 125/75, and according to urinary protein or albumin; I aim to drop the urinary protein or albumin down close to NORMAL for the parameter; sometimes, this requires time

In brief: BP med in DM CKD
Dr. Rex Mahnensmith
Dr. Rex Mahnensmith
Dr. Arnon Rubin