Are bone grafts necessary after a tooth extraction, or only if getting an implant?

Very beneficial. In highly, esthetic areas, grafting should be done. If there is a large bony defect, it should be grafted. Tooth replacements look better in grafted areas. Non esthetic areas, or areas there will never be replacements do not need grafting.
Probably. Bone grafts can be beneficial if an implant is to placed. The grafts act as a scaffold, resorb and ultimately are replaced by your own bone or form a bridge with your bone. If an implant is not planned it will be beneficial to place a graft which isn't resorbed, one in which will remain for an extended period and support the adjacent native bone, providing a better esthetic, functional prosthesis.
Sometimes. We do it sometimes without a planned implant. We do it to preserve the size and shape of the area when a bridge is planned.
Good idea. The advantage of "socket or ridge preservation", also called a bone graft , is the filling in of the hole where the tooth was extracted. This keeps the area nice and full and can be very helpful both to the teeth surrounding it and in the future if you elect to have an implant. Very good idea and investment for small cost.
Yes. Bone grafts is like an insurance policy. It increases the chance of the extraction site healing fully with bone so that the implant can be encased in good strong bone. It increase the stability of the dental implant.
No and maybe yes. Bone grafts facilitate the healing of the bone tree height that allows implants replaced later time. If a bridge is to be used, the graft can make the false tooth configuration much improved. Incomplete bone healing is a serious problem in replacing extracted teeth. Bone grafts have been a valuable improvement in oral surgery, allowing options to exist. Even dentures when first placed benefit.