Gum graft - what works better, alloderm vs palate tissue?

Dr. Jason Cataldo
Dentistry - Periodontics

In brief: Both

Both grafts are highly successful.
There really is not a "better" one. I do these grafts all week long, and they are appropriate for different tissue types and areas, as well as different patients. Depending on the size, and location of the recipient site, one may be indicated where the other is not. Consult your periodontist and they can advise you which is better for a particular situation!

In brief: Both

Both grafts are highly successful.
Dr. Jason Cataldo
Dr. Jason Cataldo
Dr. John Kong
Dentistry

In brief: Palate

Both alloderm and palate tissue work predictably for gum grafts.
However, since the palatal tissue is from your own body and is vascular to begin with, it tends to work 'better' in my hands.

In brief: Palate

Dr. John Kong
Dr. John Kong
Dr. Keith Hasday
Dentistry

In brief: Palatal tissue

In my opinion palatal tissue is always a better choice.
. My success is almost 100% with palatal tissue vs a much more unpredictable result with alloderm.

In brief: Palatal tissue

Dr. Keith Hasday
Dr. Keith Hasday
Dr. Leonard Bernstein
Dentistry - Periodontics

In brief: The Palate is better

The final result is thicker and better looking tissue form the palate.
The sub-epithelial connective tissue graft reduces the palatal wound over the older free graft.

In brief: The Palate is better

Dr. Leonard Bernstein
Dr. Leonard Bernstein
Dr. Brett Noorda
Dentistry

In brief: Alloderm, probably

Alloderm works just as well as natural tissue grafting in many instances, and it requires less injury to your gums for placement.
There are some cases where it may not be the better solution, but those are few. If your dentist/periodontist feels alloderm will work, it is the option i would choose.

In brief: Alloderm, probably

Dr. Brett Noorda
Dr. Brett Noorda
Dr. Dinh Bui
Dentistry

In brief: Alloderm

Palatal tissue is limited, and patient will suffer from the discomfort of donor site.
Alloderm is a good alternative allowed for larger graft, less morbidity (eliminate the donor site), andhas a comparable sucess rate.

In brief: Alloderm

Dr. Dinh Bui
Dr. Dinh Bui