What is the recovery like for hiatal hernia surgery?

Dr. Rafael Lugo
Surgery

In brief: Week

If done laparoscopically or robotic as i do, you should be back to work in about a week.
About 2-3 weeks to feel you can eat all foods. As i tell my patients, most maor surgery like this will put a toll in your lifestyle for about 4 weeks.

In brief: Week

Dr. Rafael Lugo
Dr. Rafael Lugo
Dr. Scott Welker
My patients have a similar experience.

In brief: Minor discomfort

In addition to surgical site discomfort for a few days (assuming a uncomplicated lap procedure), some patients report minor bloating and swallowing difficulty.
Most surgeons put patient on a full liquid diet for a week or two to ease swallowing difficulty. Most patients can resume work in 2 weeks without any problem.

In brief: Minor discomfort

Dr. George T Tsai
Dr. George T Tsai
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery