My mother 61 was operated for breast conservation surgery followed by chemo and radiation. How often should she get repeat mammograms?

Dr. Sean Canale
Breast Surgery

In brief: Annually

Often one or more mammograms are done on a 6 month interval on the affected/operated side until one is satisfied that a stable scar has been established.
Beyond that, annual mammography remains the interval of standard on both the affected and non-affected side.

In brief: Annually

Dr. Sean Canale
Dr. Sean Canale
Dr. Regina Hampton
Breast Surgery

In brief: Check with your Dr

Many doctors and institutions have their own protocol for following patients (survivorship).
In general, patients are followed with imaging every 6 months for 2-3 years and then yearly. It will depend on the specifics of the diagnosis and breast density. I strongly recommend you meet with your surgeon, oncologist or navigator to find out the schedule for follow up.

In brief: Check with your Dr

Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Regina Hampton

In brief: Yearly

Initially, mammogram every 6 months for two years, then yearly.
Yearly MRI breast is also recommended.

In brief: Yearly

Yearly MRI breast is also recommended.
Dr. Stephen Saponaro
Dr. Stephen Saponaro
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery