Is it safe to get breast implants if I have type 1 diabetes?

Dr. Gregory Buford
Surgery - Plastics
If your diabetes is well controlled and your overall health is otherwise good, then it should be safe for you to get breast implants.
I generally look at the degree of sugar control and any other extenuating factors to make this decision. If there is nothing else to complicate your surgery, then you should be good to go.

Dr. Gregory Buford
Dr. Gregory Buford
Dr. Darryl Blinski
Just have a medical clearance before surgery.
Dr. Jeffrey Roth
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Yes.
Yes. See a board certified plastic surgeon.
He/she will go over your health history with you. The plastic surgeon may wish to talk with your primary care doctor or endocrinologist. If your diabetes is well controlled you should be able to proceed. http://www.jjrothmd.com/procedures/breast-augmentation.

In brief: Yes.
Dr. Jeffrey Roth
Dr. Jeffrey Roth
Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics
Well-controlled diabetes should not be a contraindication to proceeding with breast augmentation surgery.

Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Azita Madjidi
Surgery - Plastics
As long as your blood sugar is under control.

Dr. Azita Madjidi
Dr. Azita Madjidi
Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Surgery - Plastics
Breast implant surgery can be safely performed on women with diabetes that is well contrilled.

Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Dr. Christopher Khorsandi
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: yes
Diabetics may undergo elective cosmetic surgery.
However good blood glucose control is essential for minimizing postoperative risk. Diabetics who are uncontrolled are at increased risk for infection after surgery as well as wound healing issues. Discuss your diabetes with your plastic surgeon.

In brief: yes
Dr. Christopher Khorsandi
Dr. Christopher Khorsandi
Dr. Kirk Churukian
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Usually...yes!
Breast augmentation has an extremely low risk of serious complications.
Having type i diabetes is similar to other chronic diseases (e.g. High blood pressure) - if you are in good health and the disease is controlled, the added risk is minimal. For diabetes that means normal bmi, well controlled hba1c (indicator of good blood sugar control), and good exercise/eating habits.

In brief: Usually...yes!
Dr. Kirk Churukian
Dr. Kirk Churukian
Dr. Daniel Careaga
Surgery - Plastics
As long as your diabetes is well controlled.
I usually require my patients have a glycosylated hemoglobin (hba1c) under 7 to perform any type of aesthetic surgery.

Dr. Daniel Careaga
Dr. Daniel Careaga
Dr. Jonathan Jassey