What can I do to help my baby sleep when he has a cold?

Dr. Lisa Roberts

In brief: Humidifier & TLC!

Colds in babies can be so hard because there are not many medicines that are safe to use.
A simple cool-mist humidifier with plain water can work wonders for your baby's congestion and cough. Also, saline nose drops/spray is really helpful for the stuffy nose. If there is a lot of mucus, a bulb aspirator is useful. Upright positioning for sleep (in a swing or carseat even!) may also help.

In brief: Humidifier & TLC!

Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Anna Meyer
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: Nose noodle!

I absolutely love the nose frieda (which i like to call the nose noodle) to remove secretions from the nose.
Sometimes a few saline drops can help clear things for a little while. Sometimes sleeping the the head of the crib elevated (not the baby with pillows, as this is a suffocation risk) can help drainage.

In brief: Nose noodle!

Dr. Anna Meyer
Dr. Anna Meyer