How can I tell if I have diabetes?

Dr. Maritza Baez

In brief: Blood test

Some people may not have symptoms.
I recommend you get a hba1c blood test to know for sure. Common symptoms can inclde feeling hungry or thirsty all the time, weight loss, numbness and tingling, or nothing at all.

In brief: Blood test

Some people may not have symptoms.
Dr. Maritza Baez
Dr. Maritza Baez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: A1C>6.5=DM

Most patients with type ii are asymptomatic.
Type i diabetics ( children or adolescents)present with abdominal pain and severe vomiting suggestive of ketoacidosis. In the old days the triad of polyuria, polyidipsia, polyphagia ( increase in frequency to urinate, thirst and hunger) were the classical signs. Fasting glucose of 127 or posprandial of 140 or random of 200 is diagnostic. A1c>5.6=igt.

In brief: A1C>6.5=DM

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez