How can diabetes be prevented?

Reduce your risk. There are certain factors which may lead to diabetes. If it runs in your family, you are obese, smoke cigarettes, had gestational diabetes or had a baby weighing 9 or more pounds, have impaired glucose tolerance, do not exercise regularly, low HDL cholesterol or high triglycerides, high blood pressure you are at high risk to develop diabetes, so exercise & develop healthy habits to reduce ur risk.
Avoid overweight. Type i has no prevention. Type ii is directly associated to overweight and fatty tissue in the body. Steroids elevate the sugar temporarily. Our genes we cannot change yet.