How often would a dental xray be needed?

At least once a year. I like to do routine dental xrays at least once a year. Every 6 months is even better to assess tooth and periodontal health. The amount of radiation you get from dental xrays is less than you get from being in the sun.
When needed. Im my dental practice we recommend full mouth xrays every three years. However if a dental problem is occuring then xrays are taken to assess or diagnose the problem. Yearly xrays are commonly done by other dentists.Some patients are more prone to having more frequent decay or gum dusease than others requiring more periodic examination, dental cleanings and xrays.
Dental radiographs. Dental radiographs generally are taken every year depending on the dental history of the patient. Some patients can go a year and a half. Many times I am glad we do them every year because if we waited longer the patient might have needed a root canal. Your dentist can help you with this decision.
Depends on Your Hx. Just as every adult should have an ekg as a base-line for future comparisons, a full mouth dental survey or a panoramic radiograph with 4 bite-wing decay-checking x-rays should be taken as a baseline. If there was active decay, the bite wings should be repeated 6 months later. Otherwise, annual bite wings are recommended by me as diet, stress, medications, diseases can change decay patterns.
Do you floss? If your home care is excellent and you haven't had a history if decay or gum issues x-rays do not need to b taken yearly.