Is Zantac (ranitidine) (histamine blocker) used for children for allergies.?

Dr. Thomas Seck

In brief: Add-on for hives

Ranitidine (zantac), although it's a different kind of histamine blocker (h2 for acid vs h1 for allergies), has been shown to have some anti-allergy properties, especially when used with an h1 blocker like Benadryl (diphenhydramine) for hives.
There was actually one study that showed benefit in nasal allergies, but i don't know anyone that prescribes it for that purpose.

In brief: Add-on for hives

Dr. Thomas Seck
Dr. Thomas Seck

In brief: See below

Zantac (ranitidine) is not effective for prevention of allergy symptoms.
It blocks the h2 histamine receptor instead of the h1. I have seen use of both an h! and an h2 blocker for the treatment of chronic hives.

In brief: See below

Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Shontae Buffington