How rare is patent ductus arteriosus repair in normal new babies?

Dr. Troy Reyna
Surgery - Pediatric
In brief: Not rare
It is a fairly common surgery and very safe even in small premature infants.
Should be done at appropriate facility (children's hospital) with an experienced pediatric cardiac surgeon.

In brief: Not rare
Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Troy Reyna
Dr. Barton Cook
Pediatrics - Cardiology
In brief: Rare
In a term newborn the PDA typically closes in 48 hours or so.
It remains open in less than 0.2% of otherwise healthy babies. It is much more common in very premature infants.

In brief: Rare
Dr. Barton Cook
Dr. Barton Cook
In brief: Quite rare
In three decades of pediatric practice i can't remember seeing one or knowing about a normal newborn that went through a repair. Most physicians would monitor the finding in the hopes it would eventually close as long as the kid was thriving.
I have picked up one missed in infancy in a 5 yo in for a one time visit. I encouraged the guardians to have it evaluated & closed.

In brief: Quite rare
Dr. Jonathan Jassey