Am I prediabetic if my fingerstick blood sugar is 167?

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Depends

It depends on whether the 167 is fasting or not.
If it's not, 167 is normal. If it's fasting, anything over 126 is in the diabetes range. Please keep in mind we don't use fingerstick blood sugar to diagnose diabetes or prediabetes. To do that, you will need a blood draw as it is more accurate.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Andrew Rhinehart
Internal Medicine - Diabetology

In brief: Maybe

One single random finger stick glucose cannot diagnose diabetes or prediabetes.
It is diagnosed by either two elevated fasting glucoses between 100 and 126, a1c between 5.6 and 6.5%, or an oral glucose tolerance test resulting in a two hour after glucose drink of 140-200.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Andrew Rhinehart
Dr. Andrew Rhinehart