Why is an elevated heart rate alone not always a valid indicator of effective aerobic-training?

Poor indicator. We use target heart rate as guideline to tailor aerobic training and calculating of energy utilization. Elevated heart rate is a poor indicator of effective aerobic training as many variable affects hr, including deconditioning, anemia, pain, euphoria, drugs, dehydration. How slowly the heart rate ramps up during aerobic exercise and how rapidly it declines to baseline are better predictor.