How much fiber do you need daily?

Dr. Janet Greenhut
Preventive Medicine

In brief: 14 grams/1000 Cal

Dietary guidelines for americans recommends that people eat 14 grams of fiber for every 1000 calories.
So if you eat 2000 calories per day, you should eat 28 grams of fiber. 100% bran cereal has about 9 grams of fiber in 1/3 cup. An apple with skin has 3-4 grams.

In brief: 14 grams/1000 Cal

Dr. Janet Greenhut
Dr. Janet Greenhut
Dr. Francine Yep

In brief: Good choices

I like to think of good choices instead of numbers.
Try to eat whole grains. Aim for half a plate of fruit and veggies for each meal. Choose oatmeal (1 cup is 4 grams of fiber) instead of captain crunch for breakfast. Chow down on 1 cup of beans instead of meat for a meal (1 cup of lentils is 7 grams of fiber). Congrats on thinking about healthy choices. Way to go!

In brief: Good choices

Dr. Francine Yep
Dr. Francine Yep
Dr. Jack Hinkle