Is it healthy for children to be a vegan?

Dr. Paige Gutheil

In brief: It can be

Vegan lifestyle can be very healthy for a child if they are taking care to eat a variety of 8-10 servings of fruits/vegetables daily and getting a variety of whole grains and healthy sources of fats.
It is still recommended that vegans supplement with a multivitamin out of a concern for low b vitamins.

In brief: It can be

Dr. Paige Gutheil
Dr. Paige Gutheil
Pathology

In brief: Think

Please forgive my frankness.
The health benefits of any form of vegetarianism have proved remarkably elusive; proponents cherry-pick obscure journals for their facts. Do you want to force your children to refuse to eat burgers, hot dogs, and ice cream with their peers? When they are grown up, they may hate you because of it. You've thought of this as well -- make the right choice.

In brief: Think

Please forgive my frankness.
And of course there is a flip side -- if you, yourself, have made the choice to become a vegan because you care deeply about animals, and are appalled (as I am) by the conditions under which our food animals must live -- then keep the vegan lifestyle yourself, educate your children of the many ways to be good to animals, and let then decide when they are adults.