Can you explain how the cardiologist diagnoses a patient with wpw?

Dr. Timothy Byrnes

In brief: Yes, I can

Wpw is diagnosed mostly on the ekg.
The major portion of the ventricular activation, the qrs, has a delta wave associated with it. Also the delay between atrial and ventricular activation is abbreviated so the time between atrial acitvation (p wave) and ventricular activation is reduced. At times in the er patients come in with tachycaria which leads to the diagnosis.

In brief: Yes, I can

Wpw is diagnosed mostly on the ekg.
Dr. Timothy Byrnes
Dr. Timothy Byrnes
Dr. Shahin Tavackoli
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

I agree with the answer previously given, but there are also people with WPW who do not always conduct the electrical impulses from their atrium to their ventricle through the accessory pathway (the abnormality in WPW is the presence of this accessory pathway) and in these patients sometimes when the suspicion is high an ep study is needed for the diagnosis.

Dr. Shahin Tavackoli
Dr. Shahin Tavackoli
Dr. Umesh Patel