Do I still need to have paps after a hysterectomy?

In brief: Depends

If the hysterectomy was done for cervical cancer or precancer, you should continue to have regular pap smears and pelvic exams.
If the surgery was done for endometrial or ovarian cancer, you definitely need regular pelvic exams and some doctors perform paps in those circumstances. If the surgery was done for benign causes, you need general annual exams for preventative health care.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Dr. Katherine Sutherland
Dr. Paige Gutheil

In brief: Need a visit

After a hysterectomy, you may not need a pap smear technically, although some argue that there is a small risk of having cervical type cells that remain after hysterectomy which would benefit from screening.
I think you absolutely should maintain a routine of regular check ups because we check other things at those exams-external area, vagina, rectum and ovaries if they remain!

In brief: Need a visit

Dr. Paige Gutheil
Dr. Paige Gutheil
Dr. Jane Van Dis