How common is fibromyalgia? Who is affected?

Dr. David Rosenfeld
Pain Management
In brief: See below
?roughly 5 million americans have fibromyalgia, that is one in 50 americans, 2% of the populations ?fibromyalgia is the second most common musculoskelatal ailment, after osteoarthritis ?90% of fibromyalgia fighters are female ?fibromyalgia is 7 times more common in women than in men ?fms most commonly affects women in their childbearing years but men and women of all ages can get fms.

In brief: See below
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. David Rosenfeld
Dr. Michele Arnold
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: 2% of population
2% of the population is affected by fibromyalgia.
It is more common in women, but can occur in men. Most often it occurs spontaneously and patients remember having had pain dating back to their teens or twenties. I've also seen cases that arose after trauma (accident, injury). In my practice, fibromyalgia seems associated with family history of alcoholism or history of abuse.

In brief: 2% of population
Dr. Michele Arnold
Dr. Michele Arnold
Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice
In brief: 4%
? incidence of Fibromyalgia(FM).
4/100 incur FM, even trans-culturally; mostly women. Officially "cause is unknown", but genetics suspected. Joint Hypermobility Syndrome (JHS) associated w. FM & clue to FM etiology. JHS has known genetic relationships & mostly found in women. During pregnancy, Relaxin hormone loosens pelvic ligaments. Childbirth can injure pelvic girdle.

In brief: 4%
? incidence of Fibromyalgia(FM).
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley