What are the types of depression?

Very Basically. Melancholic depressions are severely gloomy with a loss of joy, appetite, weight & insomnia. Atypical depressions are associated with interpersonal rejection sensitivity, severe fatigue, increased appetite & excessive sleep. Bipolar depressions occur in people who also have periods of mania (excessively elevated & impulsive moods), while people with unipolar depression do not have manic states.
Types. Diagnostically, there is adjustment d/o, dep; seasonal affective d/o; dysthymic d/o; and major deression of which there are a number of subtypes. Cyclical depression can also be diagnosed as bipolar d/o. Finally, there is depression not otherwise specified for those not meeting diagnostic criteria for the others.