What is bulimia vs anorexia?

Dr. Julie O'Toole

In brief: Often mixed up

People often mistakenly believe that if you purge (vomit) you have bulimia, but you could have the purging form of anorexia.
In general, people with bulimia are of average or higher than average weight. For more details see my lengthy blog and answers on this exact subject at www.Kartiniclinic.Com and click on "kartini blog, " see "most popular blogs". The subject can be complex.

In brief: Often mixed up

Dr. Julie O'Toole
Dr. Julie O'Toole
Dr. William Holmes
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Similar, Different

Both of these terms have to do with unhealthy ways of dealing with food, body weight, and body composition.
Bulimia refers to people who go through cycles of overeating and then using abnormal ways of getting rid of what they've eaten (vomiting, laxative abuse). Anorexia has to do with unhealthy ways of trying to stay underweight (starvation, vomiting, laxatives) without the overeating episodes.

In brief: Similar, Different

Dr. William Holmes
Dr. William Holmes