What factors increase my risk of varicose and spider veins?

Dr. John Landi
Phlebology

In brief: Many factors.

Varicose veins are usually due to leaking(refluxing) vein valves.
Spider veins could be due to this as well but hereditary plays a key role. Factors that would increase your risk of developing either type of vein would be pregnancies in females and the greater the number, the greater the risk, hereditary, increasing age, hormones, standing or sitting in place and sometimes localized trauma.

In brief: Many factors.

Dr. John Landi
Dr. John Landi
Dr. Ted King
Phlebology

In brief: Heredity

Heredity. Other factors can contribute to their development if you have inherited a tendency to get varicose veins in the first place.
These include prolonged standing, age, pregnancy, hormones, and trauma. Surprisingly, obesity has not been shown to be a cause of varicose veins. It does increase the risk of complications though. Getting varicose veins from crossing your legs is a wive's tale.

In brief: Heredity

Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Michael Schwartz
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: A few

In most cases I find it's hereditary.
Your mom or dad may have them. In addition, pregnancy, working on your feet all day, being overweight and sometimes just bad luck. Hope that helps!

In brief: A few

In most cases I find it's hereditary.
Dr. Michael Schwartz
Dr. Michael Schwartz
Dr. Michael Korona
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: You can help

Reduce your risk factors.
See varicose veins at womenshealth.Gov.

In brief: You can help

Reduce your risk factors.
See varicose veins at womenshealth.Gov.
Dr. Michael Korona
Dr. Michael Korona