Can changing what I eat help control inflammatory bowel disease?

Dr. Charles Cattano
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: With flares, but...

Ulcerative colitis involves inflammation of the colonic mucosal surface, so colectomy (removal of the colon) is curative for it.
Crohn's disease however is a transmural (full-thickness) inflammation of any part of the GI tract (from mouth to anus). Crohn's is not curable, but it is controllable with medications (see my previous healthtap answer regarding "step up" versus "top down" treatments.

In brief: With flares, but...

Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care

Sugar and oil aggravates symptoms.
Make sure you substitute sugar with honey, oil from vegetable or canola to olive or coconut oil. Daily take phosphatidyl choline, galactan and devil's claw will heal gut.

Sugar and oil aggravates symptoms.
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Jason Hemming
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: It may help..

With symptoms especially during flares but unlikely to change the course of disease.
The exception is severe cases of cd where elemental diets may help induce remission.

In brief: It may help..

Dr. Jason Hemming
Dr. Jason Hemming