How is inflammatory bowel disease cured?

Dr. Charles Cattano
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: Cure for IBD?
Ulcerative colitis involves inflammation of the colonic mucosal surface, so colectomy (removal of the colon) is curative for it.
Crohn's disease however is a transmural (full-thickness) inflammation of any part of the GI tract (from mouth to anus). Crohn's is not curable, but it is controllable with medications (see my previous healthtap answer regarding "step up" versus "top down" treatments.

In brief: Cure for IBD?
Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Mark Mattar
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: Maintain remission
Ibd is a chronic illness like diabetes and hypertension.
There is no cure to crohn's disease and the only cure for ulcerative colitis is a total colectomy. The key is maintaining remission with the proper medications.

In brief: Maintain remission
Dr. Mark Mattar
Dr. Mark Mattar