How would I know if I had human papillomavirus (hpv)? Afraid to ask my gyno.

In brief: Assume you do

In pre-vaccine studies showed as many as 70% of college age women had blood evidence of prior HPV infections.
Women have gone for pap smears for decades before we knew the link of some HPV strains to cervical cancer. It is not a big deal to the doc and can discovered with simple testing.

In brief: Assume you do

Dr. Renee Harris

In brief: Most people do

85% of people over the age of 18 have hpv.
The pap smear is designed to find changes associated with hpv. The gradualism vaccine is designed to help protect you from 4 of the many types of hpv.

In brief: Most people do

Dr. Renee Harris
Dr. Renee Harris
Dr. Robin Larabee

In brief: Dont be afraid

Hpv can cause symptoms, or can be silent.
As it is the most common cause of cancer of the cervix, if you are concerned, you should definitely ask your gyn. A simple pap smear can diagnose hpb. Your gyn is a professional that takes your concern seriously and will not make you feel poorly about your sexual choices.

In brief: Dont be afraid

Dr. Robin Larabee
Dr. Robin Larabee
Dr. Jane Van Dis