I know that some women have arm swelling after breast cancer surgery. Why?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Lymphedema
The arm swelling you are describing occurs secondary to disruption of the lymphatic circulation draining the arm, either via lymph node removal and/or radiation therapy.
When we used to remove 10-20 lymph nodes, the lifetime incidence was ~25%. Nowadays, with sentinel lymph node biopsy alone, the risk is closer to 5%. Hopefully, in the future we won't have to remove any lymph nodes.

In brief: Lymphedema
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care
In brief: Lymph edema
Lymph is the fluid in tissues.
After surgical procedure some people have a tendency to develop swelling because lymph nodes are removed - the collection system for lymph. Emotionally deep skin is the layer we bury sadness - literally we are weeping inside. It is easier to bury emotions makes this bearable. Read my book called meridian medicine available on itunes to learn more.

In brief: Lymph edema
Lymph is the fluid in tissues.
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Jane Van Dis