How do I decide which surgery is right for me for breast cancer?

Work with you doctor. This depends on the type of tumor, the size and if there is spread to the lymph nodes or other parts of body. The options: lumpectomy or mastectomy. I recommend you meet with a breast surgeon and a plastic surgeon to explore all your options. A 2nd opinion may be helpful. Make sure you have doctors who take time to explain in terms that you understand. Take a family member or friend with you.
Know your options. Make sure you know all your options particularly breast conservation versus mastectomy as well as the pros and cons for each in your particular situation. Your breast surgeon should be able to make a medical/technical recommendation but other factors often figure in as well and are important (piece of mind is hugely important). Work with a breast surgeon with special interest & expertise in breast.
Know Your Facts. Most women diagnosed with breast cancer have the option of either undergoing mastectomy (with or w/o reconstruction) or lumpectomy; if the latter is chosen, radiation therapy must be given as well. Most importantly, the chance for cure is equal regardless of surgical rx. Most women opt for lump-x since it is much less invasive; however, some prefer mast-x to reduce the chance of recurrence.
TALK WITH DOC. First of all, make sure that the surgeon that you are seeing specializes in breast cancer. (check the society of surgical oncology website) if not seek a second opinion. You may want to talk with medical and radiation oncologists while you are making your decision and may want to talk with a plastic surgeon if mastectomy is being considered. Don't rush. Take as much time as you need.