How do I decide which surgery is right for me for breast cancer?

Dr. Regina Hampton
Breast Surgery
In brief: Work with you doctor
This depends on the type of tumor, the size and if there is spread to the lymph nodes or other parts of body.
The options: lumpectomy or mastectomy. I recommend you meet with a breast surgeon and a plastic surgeon to explore all your options. A 2nd opinion may be helpful. Make sure you have doctors who take time to explain in terms that you understand. Take a family member or friend with you.

In brief: Work with you doctor
Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Regina Hampton
5 comments
Dr. Robert Whitfield
I agree that it is important to meet with both a breast surgeon and a plastic surgeon. Certain procedures are not offered by all PS.
Dr. Robert Whitfield
Ask about the ability to perform immediate breast reconstruction with fat graft only with the BRAVA as a second stage.
Dr. Sean Canale
Breast Surgery
In brief: Know your options
Make sure you know all your options particularly breast conservation versus mastectomy as well as the pros and cons for each in your particular situation.
Your breast surgeon should be able to make a medical/technical recommendation but other factors often figure in as well and are important (piece of mind is hugely important). Work with a breast surgeon with special interest & expertise in breast.

In brief: Know your options
Dr. Sean Canale
Dr. Sean Canale
Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: Know Your Facts
Most women diagnosed with breast cancer have the option of either undergoing mastectomy (with or w/o reconstruction) or lumpectomy; if the latter is chosen, radiation therapy must be given as well.
Most importantly, the chance for cure is equal regardless of surgical rx. Most women opt for lump-x since it is much less invasive; however, some prefer mast-x to reduce the chance of recurrence.

In brief: Know Your Facts
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Richard Orr
Surgery - Oncology
In brief: TALK WITH DOC
First of all, make sure that the surgeon that you are seeing specializes in breast cancer.
(check the society of surgical oncology website) if not seek a second opinion. You may want to talk with medical and radiation oncologists while you are making your decision and may want to talk with a plastic surgeon if mastectomy is being considered. Don't rush. Take as much time as you need.

In brief: TALK WITH DOC
Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Richard Orr
Dr. Jane Van Dis