How is graves' disease treated now?

Dr. David Djang
Nuclear Medicine
In brief: I-131 > meds > surg
Many people try the anti-thyroid meds first (ptu (propylthiouracil) or methimazole), but these only work long-term for a modest number of people.
If someone has tried and failed one of those meds, then they become more open-minded to the i-131 (radioactive iodine). I-131 usually works well and has a low side-effect profile. Surgery is an option, but has risks, and almost no one actually chooses it.

In brief: I-131 > meds > surg
Dr. David Djang
Dr. David Djang
Dr. Dan Fisher
In brief: Beta block + I 131
Initial treatment to control symptoms.
Beta blocker sufficient for mild symptoms. Radioactive iodine (i131) is mainstay of therapy for ablating overactive thyroid. Some opt for medications to control hormone release but these don't work so well long term. Surgery is option but not without significant risk such as permanent damage to nerves or loss of ability to regulate calcium.

In brief: Beta block + I 131
Initial treatment to control symptoms.
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Arnon Rubin