How can I help my son prevent acne and acne scars?

Medication. Medication is the key. If topical benzoyl peroxide had not cleared junior in two weeks, please get him to a scientific physician. Don't blame him for his illness -- it's impossible for many victims not to touch the lesions and it's not caused by poor hygiene. If an antiobiotic, retinoic acid derivative and/or spironolactone don't clear him, or if scarring's already begin, Isotretinoin may be best.
No picking allowed! Picking or popping zits leads to further inflammation of the skin and increases the risk of scarring. If you are able to see a dermatologist, please do! a dermatologist can prescribe medications (including topical therapies and antibiotics) and non-invasive in-office therapies (such as laser and light treatments) that will reduce your acne and treat any resultant scars.
Good washing. Good hygiene...Good hand and face washing. When face is oily and astringent and benzoyl peroxide will help. If acne is bad see your doctor there are many good medicines.