Can you explain why troponin levels increase when there is cardiac damage?

Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Troponin

It leaks out of the cells when they are damaged.

In brief: Troponin

Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Dr. Shahin Tavackoli
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: See my other answer

Please see my other answer regarding this subject.
In short, there should not be much troponin in blood in a patient without cardiac damage. Troponin is part of the structure of the heart muscle and when the muscle is damaged, it "leaks" into the blood stream. That is an oversimplification but it is pretty close to the truth of what happens.

In brief: See my other answer

Dr. Shahin Tavackoli
Dr. Shahin Tavackoli
Dr. Christian Assad
Troponins are protein molecules that are part of cardiac and skeletal muscle. Smooth muscle cells do not contain troponins. They are generally undetectable in healthy patients. The absolute abnormal value varies depending on the clinical setting and if there is kidney insufficiency trop could also be elevated since it is cleared by them.
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology