I have taken 5mg prednisone daily for about 2months to wean off doctor said to take one evry other day for 1 week and then 1 every 3 days is that safe?

Dr. Steven Hill
In brief: Should be
This should be effective.

In brief: Should be
This should be effective.
Dr. Steven Hill
Dr. Steven Hill
They estimate the average person produces the equivalent of 5 mg of prednisone in their adrenal glands.
The amount you have been taking is not considered a high dose, where a more gradual wear would be important. If you want to string it out longer it wouldn't hurt anything but would not be needed.

Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Most likely
I have done tapers like that and at other times based on what I am treating, i may go with a slower wean.
As i always tell my patients when we wean steroids is that if symptoms return while going down on them, go back to the dose that controlled the disease or symtoms and call my office to discuss a different weaning process. Remember you always can go back up.

In brief: Most likely
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. Shontae Buffington