Have not had a period in 6 months doc thinks I have pcos, blood work came back with high insulin levels. What couldit mean could I have diabetes, bad?

Dr. Gerard Honore
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Insulin levels

High Insulin levels are common in women with pcos and other ovulatory problems.
High Insulin levels are a risk for developing diabetes, but they do not say you have the disease now. Your doctor should test you specifically for diabetes if that is a concern.

In brief: Insulin levels

Dr. Gerard Honore
Dr. Gerard Honore
Dr. Richard Shewbridge
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Not to worry.

If your glucose levels are normal, it is unlikely you have diabetes at this time.
The high Insulin level likely indicates you have some Insulin resistance (you need more Insulin than usual to keep your glucose level normal). Your doctor probably has a plan to help you with this (weight loss, metformin therapy, or oral contraceptive). Ask your doctor what the plan is.

In brief: Not to worry.

Dr. Richard Shewbridge
Dr. Richard Shewbridge
Dr. Adam Levy