Confused over this: is taking "no heroic measures" the same as "dnr"?

Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Can be...

"dnr" stands for do not resuscitate and this means, in the event of your heart stopping, no attempts would be made to resuscitate you.
Resucitation is considered "heroic measures". But, under some circumstances, other treatments may be considered heroic as well, like mechanical ventilation, feeding tubes, etc. It is best to be specific as to what treatments you would want under what circumstances.

In brief: Can be...

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
2 comments
Dr. David Voran
The more specific you can be the better you will be served. Many of these terms can be interpreted differently in the absence of clear instructions or desires.
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Thanks, Dr. Voran! Completely agree with you! Thanks for adding this information!
Dr. David Voran

In brief: Depends on you

Dnr or do not resuscitate means just that.
If you are found unresponsive then do not call a code or begin resuscitative procedures. No heroic measures need to be defined a little more. I'm a physician and have clearly stated that I do not want to die heroically. And then go on to specify that means I do not want to have expensive treatments to "heroically" keep death at bay. Let me go in peace.

In brief: Depends on you

Dr. David Voran
Dr. David Voran
Dr. Dennis Clifford
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

Do not resuscitate means not applying life support measures or performing cpr. Generally this means taking no "heroic" measures.

Dr. Dennis Clifford
Dr. Dennis Clifford
Dr. Eric Weisman