I had a partial hysterectomy 4 years ago. I now have been having major pains in my lower left abdomen. They increase when I cough, laugh, or sneeze. ?

Dr. Leto Quarles

In brief: Many possible causes

May or may not be related to previous surgery.
If the pain is right in your scar, if there is a bulge there, or if the appearance of your scar has changed, see the doc who did your hysterectomy (or another ob/gyn) to check for incisional hernia or other problems. If unrelated to scar, could also be colon, small intestine, ovary, muscles or nerves of abdominal wall, etc., so see your primary doc.

In brief: Many possible causes

Dr. Leto Quarles
Dr. Leto Quarles
Dr. Samir Gupta
Surgery

In brief: Possible hernia

A hysterectomy done through a typical lower abdominal incision can lead to hernia formation and occasionally can be associated with irritation and inflammation of sensory nerves in the groin region.
If the pain is more in the left lower abdomen (above the groin) it may be diverticulitis. Your symptoms sound more musculoskeletal and suggest hernia as a possibility.

In brief: Possible hernia

Dr. Samir Gupta
Dr. Samir Gupta
Dr. Jane Van Dis