Why does bradycardia present in dengue?

Dr. Jerome Zacks
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Uncertain.

Whether it's a direct action of the virus, an immune response, cytokine action or the result of another circulating substance is uncertain.
However, the association is well-documented.

In brief: Uncertain.

Dr. Jerome Zacks
Dr. Jerome Zacks
Dr. Shaym Puppala

In brief: Relative bradycardia

A definition of bradycardia is a heart rate (hr) < 60 beats per minute.
Usually, hr increases by approx 10bpm per degree of fever.High fever with normal hr is "relative bradycardia;" hr is lower than expected. Relative bradycardia occurs in dengue for reasons felt to be related to the immune system, but exact mechanism as yet is unknown, to my knowledge.

In brief: Relative bradycardia

Dr. Shaym Puppala
Dr. Shaym Puppala
Dr. Shaym Puppala
(reference: Lateef A, Fisher DA, Tambyah PA. Dengue and relative bradycardia [letter]. Emerg Infect Dis [serial on the Internet]. 2007 Apr )
Dr. Vicken Poochikian