I got a deep cut on my finger using a knife a few weeks ago. The wound has closed up, but now I have a hard piece of scar tissue there. What can I do?

Dr. Renee Burke
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Depends

It will take 6 weeks for the scars to begin to soften with any incision, and daily massage will help.
However, with a deep cut on the hand you want to make sure you have no functional or sensory changes/losses. If you are unsure, seek treatment from a surgeon who specializes in surgery of the hand.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Renee Burke
Dr. Renee Burke
Dr. Colin Kerr

In brief: Knife cut

There is probably nothing to do.
If you have not developed signs of infection, then healing is proceding fine. With a sharp instrument like a knife, a cut should heal quickly and without problem. Do not worry about the scar. It will heal. If it's thick, it may just reflect the thick skin on the tips of your fingers which get a lot of wear and tear.

In brief: Knife cut

There is probably nothing to do.
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Colin Kerr
Dr. Bret Boyle
Board Certified, Wound care