My life could not be more perfect but I am so depressed. The days I don't work I do not get out of bed. I am on parnate (tranylcypromine) have been for 27 years. I feel ?

Dr. Steven Reidbord

In brief: Try something new?

27 years is a long time to be on any antidepressant.
You missed all of the ssris, first released in the us in 1988, as well as newer non-ssri antidepressants. There are also augmentation strategies, non-medication treatments such as tms, and of course various types of psychotherapy. Not to mention lots of self-help strategies too. Why not go for a re-evaluation and consider a new approach?

In brief: Try something new?

Dr. Steven Reidbord
Dr. Steven Reidbord
Dr. Louis Cady
I absolutely agree with Dr. Reidbord. There are two things that you said that really caught my attention. Your "life is perfect" for one thing. The fact that you are on Parnate for the second. If your life is truly "perfect" - it means that there is no psychological reason for you to be depressed. It's true you could be in a state of denial and have long repressed issues - but I'm taking you at your word. When you describe being on Parnate, you are on a monoamine oxidase inhibitor - which I joke to my patients is like the "thermonuclear bomb" of psychiatry. While certain creative psychopharmacologists have actually uses MAOI's (like Parnate) with tricyclic antidepressants, or, in some cases, SSRI's, this is VERY DANGEROUS and must be done by an expert. It seems to me that TMS would be exceptionally reasonable. I have seen it work when nothing else has. Do your own due diligence and check it out. Good luck!
Dr. Eric Weisman