I'm supposed to have cystocele surgery and my dr. Also wants to remove my uterus. Is this necessary? I'm 52 and have not had a period in 15 months.

Dr. Dan Fisher

In brief: No

Not necessary, but may be in your best interest.
If you will not be using uterus any longer for procreation, there is no benefit to keeping it. Risk of taking it out is low. Downside of keeping it is that you could develop disease or cancer of uterus. Risk and benefit ratio is different for everyone. Have this frank discussion with surgeon.

In brief: No

Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Michael Swor

In brief: Pelvic floor

Vaginal repair including cystocele can be done without hysterectomy.
Even when there is prolapse or dropping of the uterus, it can be left if desired. We typically use the support tissues of the cervix to help support the vaginal walls when doing pelvic reconstruction.

In brief: Pelvic floor

Dr. Michael Swor
Dr. Michael Swor
Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery