Can severe gastritis cause heart racing issues and shortness of breathe?

Maybe. Irritations in the gastrointestinal tract can result in palpitations. Treatment of the gastritis may lead to decreased symptoms. Full cardiac evaluation would be recommended. Acid blockers, probiotics and or antibiotics may be used to treat the gastritis. Control of the irregular heart beat may need antiarrhythmia medications to bring them under control and improve the symptoms such as sob.
Generally no. Severe stomach inflammation may cause chest pain, but should not lead to fast heart beats or shortness of breath. However, sometimes those who have heart disease (coronary artery disease) experience fast heart beats, shortness of breath, and think they have gastritis when in fact, they are having heart pain.