I have had an xray on both my knees and was told I have bone spurs and bone islands in my knees. It is painful to walk up or down stairs, help?

Dr. Charles Crabbe

In brief: Bone spurs/island

Bone spurs and islands have different causes.
Bone spurs or osteophytes are thickened areas of bone that form at areas of bone stress, injury, wear. Common in arthritic conditions. Contrary to its name, most spurs are smooth, not sharp and are asymptomatic. Bone islands are areas of thicker or cortical bone that are found in areas of softer bone(cancellous) and occur from birth and are benign.

In brief: Bone spurs/island

Dr. Charles Crabbe
Dr. Charles Crabbe
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: See below

It sounds like you have osteoarthritis.
There are things that can be done to reduce pain and first would include doing exercises to build up your hamstrings and quadriceps of your legs. Medications such as nsaids may be helpful. Injections of cortisone or drugs such as injectable synvisc (hylan g-f 20) maybe helpful. Arthroscopy of the knee sometimes are done to clean out the knee. Otc supplements also helpful.

In brief: See below

It sounds like you have osteoarthritis.
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine