I'm on plavix, (clopidogrel) but want to get back into mixed martial arts. Is this a bad idea?

Dr. Mark Stern
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Yes, bad idea

Yes you bruise much more easily, and if you have head trauma, you could bleed into your brain, don't do it!

In brief: Yes, bad idea

Dr. Mark Stern
Dr. Mark Stern
Dr. James Okamoto

In brief: Definitely bad idea

I train in mma myself, and even without a Plavix (clopidogrel) i get plenty of bruises/injuries.
Unfortunately if you are on an anti-platelet agent it only makes this worse. If you have internal bleeding from a hard blow it could be deadly. There are other martial arts that focus on kata or forms that are non contact and safer for someone on plavix (clopidogrel).

In brief: Definitely bad idea

Dr. James Okamoto
Dr. James Okamoto
Dr. John Szawaluk
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Probably

Not a good idea as you are at a higher risk of bleeding especially with trauma associated with mixed martial arts.
Speak with your doctor.

In brief: Probably

Speak with your doctor.
Dr. John Szawaluk
Dr. John Szawaluk
Dr. Adam Smith