What is the indication for surgical ablation (av node ablation) for atrial fibrillation?

Definitive Control. We don't generally do this with surgery, but rather with a "catheter" based procedure (wire we thread into the heart that cauterizes the av node). This procedure provides complete control of the heart rate in the lower chamber and excellent symptom control, but makes people dependent on the pacemaker that *must* be implanted with this procedure.
AF ablation. Patients with atrial fibrillation and have difficulty controlling their rate can be treated with an av node ablation which is a procedure that damages the av node so that it won't conduct the beat. This results in complete heart block and is treated with a pacemaker. More recent treatments for af include an af ablation which gets rid of the af directly and does not require a pacemaker.
Varies. Cather ablation of the av node is reserved for patients who can not get the pulse rate under control by any other method - it is usually only used as a last resort. Before this, medications are tried, and usually some sort of catheter ablation for atrial fib specifically (not just the av node). A pacemaker is required prior to av node ablation.
Rate control. To control the ventricular response rate (pulse rate) to the atrial fibrillation when all other medications have failed, contraindicated, or are not tolerated due to unacceptable side effects.