Silver fillings in teeth. Any worries that are real (or were the stories just internet hype)?

In brief: Internet Trash

Silver fillings have been around for over 150 years.
You'd think by now if they caused any health issues the scientific community would know. In NY, at least, it unethical for a licensed dentist to advise a patient otherwise, and can result in sanctions and possible fines if s/he does. It would be misleading the public and that's just not allowed.

In brief: Internet Trash

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Amalgam is safe

No worry, silver fillings are safe.
Many studies has examined these amalgam fillings and found them to be an effective, strong long-lasting treatment for dental cavities. American Dental Association supports use of the amalgam materials. It is proofed that there is no need for concern about the safety of amalgam fillings. You should replace amalgam fillings only when they are worn or broken.

In brief: Amalgam is safe

No worry, silver fillings are safe.
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin

In brief: Hype!

The CDC, NIH, the ADA, and numerous university science studies all have shown silver-mercury amalgam fillings are safe.
These studies have been conducted over decades and under the strict guideline of pure science. While not popular because they are not as esthetic as composite resins, silver amalgams are safe!

In brief: Hype!

Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Original concern raised in a 60 Minutes segment that was based on a flawed study done in Canada. When presented with scientific proof of safety of silver fillings, 60 Minutes chose not to review their broadcasted position. Dr. Freedman is absolutely correct.
Dr. Aaron Cook
Dentistry

In brief: 2 schools of thought

I have silver fillings.
The american dental association has articles available on it's website (ada.Org) about this topic, there's no scientific evidence that the fillings are harmful. I'd advise you to research for yourself at reputable websites like ada.Org, nih, ama. My only concern, is for my health long-term after removing many old silver fillings and breathing the dust they produce...

In brief: 2 schools of thought

I have silver fillings.
Dr. Aaron Cook
Dr. Aaron Cook
Dr. James Donley
Why is there such an environmental concern with mercury (50% of amalgam is mercury)? Why was mercury banned from thermometers? Why are European countries banning amalgam fillings? Why are dental offices being required to remove the amalgam from the sewer lines from the dental office? Do others know something the ADA does not know?

In brief: Just hype

Silver fillings are a great value: they are the strongest, longest lasting and least expensive of the filling materials.
Despite lots of studies, there is no evidence of silver fillings being harmful. Folks worry about the mercury, but the mercury in the filling becomes biologically inactive when it becomes combined with the other metal elements of the filling material.

In brief: Just hype

Dr. Jennifer Holtzman
Dr. Jennifer Holtzman
2 comments
Dr. Richard Fuller
Silver Amalgam fillings are safe. The mercury is usually in a metal complex which is inert until the filling is removed by grinding it out of the tooth. That is when mercury can be released. Usually a silver filling is replaced with a plastic tooth colored filling. So you just replaced one questionable restorative material with another one. Check it out before you make the decision to remove silver fillings.
Dr. Lindsey Wolfer
there is no need to replace sound silver fillings. But when it is time to replace , a composite filling looks better and bonds to the tooth. This makes for a stronger tooth/filling combination