Retin-a - is that the best acne option?

Part of good plan. Typically no one acne medication is going to do as good a job as an individualized regimen consisting of a good face wash, topical or oral antibiotics if acne more moderate to severe and a retinoid product like Retin-A to help with clogged pores. Retina is a great medication but if used in isolation may not be best option.
No. Don't wash your face with body soap. Also don't use alcohol or comedogenic products on your face. Try to find an acne wash system like neutrogena, pangea organics, or something with benzoyl peroxide. Following low sodium diet might help too, since acne-causing bacteria like salt. You can try to prevent spreading bacteria onto your face by not touching your face, washing your phone, etc.