May a child get sick after taking oral polio vaccine?

Dr. Randolph Thomas
In brief: Very Rarely
The oral polio vaccine is the live polio vaccine that was previously given in the usa and is still used widly throughout the world, particularly in areas with significant problems with the wild polio virus.
It is highly effective. In rare cases, the administration of OPV results in vaccine-associated paralysis associated with the reversion of the vaccine strains to the wild poliovirus profile.

In brief: Very Rarely
Dr. Randolph Thomas
Dr. Randolph Thomas
In brief: Confusing question
The available information we see listed places you in Massachusetts.
I have not been able to get oral polio vaccine for my office since the late 90's & to my knowledge it is not available in the US. The oral vaccines we have available are limited to the Rotavirus an some specialty vaccines for travelers.

In brief: Confusing question
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Preventive Medicine
In brief: No
This is O.K. No problems.

In brief: No
This is O.K. No problems.
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale