Mechanical ventilation - if you're old and don't want to be on a machine, what papers do carry on you?

Dr. Leto Quarles
In brief: Advance Directive
Advance directives & living wills are legal documents for you to instruct healthcare providers about what life-support measures you do or don't want.
Your regular doctor can help you fill one out, or you can also get the forms from any hospital admitting office (you don't have to be a patient at the hospital, just ask for the form). Also talk with friends/family so they know what you want.

In brief: Advance Directive
Dr. Leto Quarles
Dr. Leto Quarles
I'm not sure if it is urban legend or true, but I recall one case where a patient had "Do Not Resuscitate" tattooed on his chest.
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology