Lip biopsy for sjorgrens - is it really needed, or are blood tests enough?

Dr. Ramachandran Srinivasan
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Sjogren's
Sjogren's is diagnosed based on symptoms, good clinical exam , laboratory data and anti body levels.
At times imaging studies are done to evaluate salivary glands, eye exam for dryness , chest x-ray for lung involvement and kidney tests for kidney involvement . At times lip biopsy to confirm diagnosis.

In brief: Sjogren's
Dr. Ramachandran Srinivasan
Dr. Ramachandran Srinivasan
Pathology
In brief: Depends
If i had the classic symptoms (dry eyes, dry mouth, large parotids), classic parotid duct imaging and high titers of anti-ssa/ro and anti-ssb/la, i might forego biopsy.
Otherwise, my own choice would be for biopsy simply to certainty -- sjogren's complications in lung, liver, and even brain can be surprising, and forewarned is forearmed. Get informed consent and decide.

In brief: Depends