Why do I often experience a sudden drop in emotion and inability to smile when bills due?

Dr. Marianna Post
In brief: Hmm
I am afraid you are not alone in it. I don't think it is pathology.

In brief: Hmm
Dr. Marianna Post
Dr. Marianna Post
Dr. Hanford Brace
In brief: Depression
See your family doctor and discuss.
If i were your doctor i would most likely put you on a good antidepressant for at least 6 month to a year. You most likely are a worrier type and have a depressive personality. Probably familial and definitely treatable. I have had many patients over the years with your sx and treated. I can assure you that rx is effective!

In brief: Depression
See your family doctor and discuss.
Dr. Hanford Brace
Dr. Hanford Brace
Dr. Pamela Pappas
In brief: Why?
I think you would be the best person to answer this question, because you're the one living your life.
It may help to explore this with a counselor, therapist, or psychiatrist though, who is not involved in your personal life. Such professionals could listen impartially, without needing to get you to "change" what you are feeling. This could provide a space in which to discover yourself.

In brief: Why?
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Eric Weisman