8 doctors weighed in:

Ganglion cyst aspiration - what makes the fluid inside?

8 doctors weighed in
Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Orthopedic Surgery
5 doctors agree

In brief: Ganglion cyst

A gangling cyst arises from a joint.
The fluid in the cyst is synovial, or joint, fluid.

In brief: Ganglion cyst

A gangling cyst arises from a joint.
The fluid in the cyst is synovial, or joint, fluid.
Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Dr. Shawn Hennigan
Thank
Dr. Rudolf Zak
Podiatry
2 doctors agree

In brief: Ganglion cyst

The fluid inside is made of synovial fluid.
The cyst usually grows off a tendon or joint and has a stem that draws fluid from the tendon sheath or joint to fill the cyst up. The cyst can rupture and flatten out but can and will refill as long as the stem is still there.

In brief: Ganglion cyst

The fluid inside is made of synovial fluid.
The cyst usually grows off a tendon or joint and has a stem that draws fluid from the tendon sheath or joint to fill the cyst up. The cyst can rupture and flatten out but can and will refill as long as the stem is still there.
Dr. Rudolf Zak
Dr. Rudolf Zak
Thank
2 doctors agree

In brief: Joint Fluid

A ganglion cyst is a collection of thick joint lubrication fluid that has gotten outside of the joint.
Commonly seen on the wrist and the knee ( called a baker's cyst). The fluid is thick and doesn't aspirate well through a needle unless the needle is quite large. 90% chance it can recur. Best treatment is surgery to remove it, but still has as high as 10 % chance to recur.

In brief: Joint Fluid

A ganglion cyst is a collection of thick joint lubrication fluid that has gotten outside of the joint.
Commonly seen on the wrist and the knee ( called a baker's cyst). The fluid is thick and doesn't aspirate well through a needle unless the needle is quite large. 90% chance it can recur. Best treatment is surgery to remove it, but still has as high as 10 % chance to recur.
Dr. Scott Grover
Dr. Scott Grover
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery
13 years in practice
468K people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors